How to Create the Best Newborn Photoshoot Experience
A newborn and family photoshoot captures a precious time in yours and your little one’s life and provides memories you can cherish forever. But preparing for a shoot can be daunting, especially in the early days of newborn life when you are low on sleep and high on stress.
We spoke with Jenn Bullen from Watch Them Grow Photography, who specialises in lifestyle photography, who gave us some inside tips to make the most of a newborn shoot.
View our full interview with Jenn HERE:
One of the benefits of Watch Them Grow Photography is that Jenn comes to your home. This immediately ensures that all parties are relaxed and stress free in their natural environment (with everything you need to care for your baby at arm’s length), providing the perfect calm setting for the session.
Below, we have picked out the top tips you should be across when organising a maternity or newborn shoot:
How to pick the right newborn photographer that is right for you:
- Check the photographer’s website to view their past work
- Is it the style that you are looking for? Natural? Posed? Props?
- When you contact them, do you feel a comfortable rapport?
When to book your photoshoots:
- At approximately the 20-week mark, Jenn suggests booking in your maternity shoot (should you be wanting to have one) which would occur around the 26-35 week mark of your pregnancy.
- Additionally, at the 20-week mark, Jenn suggests organising your newborn shoot. The photographer will pencil in your due date and be aware that approximately 2 weeks around that date they are to expect you.
- Once the baby is born, the shoot date is locked in.
Top Wardrobe Tips – for bub and family:
- Stick with neutral, pastel or plain colours – white, black, beige and grey are best along with denim for dads and lace for mums.
- Your baby will likely be in a nappy with a swaddle – ensure you have a couple that you would like photographed on hand, in case of any accidents, if your photographer doesn't provide them.
Bonus: Jenn provides swaddles in neutral colours as well as dress options for mums!
How to prepare your baby for the shoot:
- Feeding bub prior to the photographer’s arrival is ideal, if possible, but if feeding happens during the shoot time this is ok too.
- A nap prior for bub is also handy but not essential.
- The key is to not put any unnecessary stress on yourself or your baby that they must feed or sleep – your photographer is used to these things and will understand.
Bonus: Jenn is a pro at settling babies and working with them when they are asleep or awake so you don’t have to worry about bub being a little bit fussy!
How long does a photoshoot session take:
- Newborn – approximately 2.5-3 hours
- Including a sibling can extend the shoot time (cue unpredictable, cheeky toddler!)
Bonus: Jenn is committed to staying as long as necessary to ensure that the shots you want are captured, not locking in to a specific period of time!
Whether it is a maternity, newborn or a family shoot, the most important thing is that you enjoy the experience and feel comfortable to create some beautiful memories with your loved ones.
To find out more about Jenn and Watch Them Grow Photography, visit: